Cool Shit Friday
Once every other Friday (probably) our studio sits down and shares some cool shit. Here are our latest takes.
We as designers and storytellers are inundated with inspirations, curiosities, and wonders all the time. So much so, that maybe too many creatives look at the same blogs. We are guilty of this ourselves. So we decided on an effort to make something a little different, or at least try.
Once every other Friday (probably) our studio sits down and shares some cool shit. We want to share the things we randomly put on Slack but with a twist. Everyone looks and listens instead of watching it roll by. There are no rules or perimeters, just stuff we think is cool enough to mention. Welcome to Cool Shit Friday by Hyperakt.
- The Met Breuer — Unfinished Exhibition — Radhika Unnikrishnan — UI UX
An exhibition in the former Whitney building now run by the Met. Showing off unfinished works from the Renaissance to the current day. Including paintings and sculptures.
- Area 17 — The Pixel School — Logan Emser — Designer
This is a site made to show and teach the way Area 17 approaches design. It’s a great resource for designers and non designers a like. The really cool part is a focus on Illustrator.
- Watchtower over Turkey —Leonardo Dalessandri — Andres Kishimoto — Intern
A tourism video. There is beautiful rhythmic editing, seamless transitions that work so well with the composed music. High production value. A one man band.
- Goats in Prospect Park — Dylan Viola — Developer
There are goats in Prospect Park being used to eat invasive species of trees and plants that came from storm damage.
- The Yes Men — Joelle Woodson — Strategic Planner
Duo on Climate Justice/Culture Jamming. Lots of pranks, super smart and pissing off all the right people.
- The Triplets of Bellville — Deroy Peraza — Principal + Creative Director
A very fun French animated film you should check out.
- Elle Perez — Alexander Gracey — Studio & Community Manager
Perez is a contemporary artist working mostly in photography & film. She is a professor at Williams College and Dean at Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture. Perez is a Bronx native.
- Radio Lab podcast on the Hip Hop Scene — Sruthi Sadhujan — Strategist + New Business Manager
It was funny and interesting to hear kinda dorky white guys talk about hip hop from a 30,000 mile away perspective. There was a great focus on female rappers like Niki Minaj who is a personal favorite of Sruthi’s.
- Race Against Dementia — Marianna Fierro — Designer
Formula 1 Legend Sir Jackie Stewart, Brand Union in collaboration with Colophon type foundry created a typeface to show the effects of Dementia. This is all boxed together in a beautiful site that connected to the Dementia foundation Sir Jackie Stewart started.
- A look inside the team behind Candy Crush — Wen Ping Huang — Designer
A video looking at the studio who designed Candy Crush. Fun things include their welcome kit for new employees. It’s a 25% female so they get their own foosball table with all female players. Company based in Stockholm.
- Bombas — Mary Dawson — Neighborwoods Community & Operations Manager
Amazing socks. They donate a pair for every pair bought.